Pain Management Clinic
The Pain Management Clinic is provided by the anaesthesia service and aims to deliver an individualised and multi-modal approach to the management of pain in dogs and cats.
A Pain Management Clinic consultation may be indicated for a wide range of disorders such as:
- Chronic painful conditions such as osteoarthrititis, neck, back and facial pain
- Neuropathic (nerve related) pain
- Cancer pain
- Management of pain and mobility in older patients
- Recovery from orthopaedic surgery and neurological injury
- Pain of unknown origin
- When standard pain medications are not sufficient, not tolerated or contra-indicated
The initial consultation will includes a discussion of the pet’s history, environment, medication, diet, activity and exercise regime. It will provide an in-depth assessment of the patient and their pain as well as the owners’ expectations. Following assessment a management plan is developed which may include changes to the medications, acupuncture and environmental lifestyle changes and referral to other Specialists such as orthopaedics, neurology and physiotherapists.